Thursday, March 13, 2008

Thar she blows

I can't believe that I've been living in California since 1996, and the closest I came to a whale was from an overlook at Big Sur. I've always wanted to see one up close (preferably in their natural element). So on a recent trip to Mendocino with friends, we had the opportunity to book an excursion with Noyo Harbor charter boats. The sky was grey and the air misty with saline, but we were all excited to get up close with the migrating grey whales of the Pacific. Sure enough, we weren't disappointed. Much of what we saw was spine and tail, especially as they took a big gulp of air before their deep dives. I left the still photography to our most-capable friends while I handled the video. The swells were enough to put a few unlucky passengers clutching rails, but we had a blast.

No comments: